Monday, January 29, 2007

Blue Like Jazz

I've recently finished reading Blue Like Jazz again. This is one of my favorite books, and one that is necessary for me to re-read every few months. It is full of things that are true. Each time I finish reading the book, I feel close to Don Miller (the author). I want to meet him somewhere for coffee. I imagine us having a lot to talk about, stories to compare. We would laugh some and probably cry together, too, as we ponder the depths of God's love. He's on my list of people I want to meet someday.

I take away something different with each read of the book. The idea that struck me this time is worth sharing here.

When I wake up each morning, I must die to myself.

This is the way to serve, to love, to follow Christ. It's not my show, it's someone else's.

Miller writes:

I was in San Francisco recently staying at this bed and breakfast place for people who are in the city to do ministry. It was a small house, but there were
probably fifteen people living there at the time. The guy who ran the place,
Bill, was always making meals or cleaning up after us, and I took note of his
incredible patience and kindness. I noticed that not all of us did our dishes
after a meal, and very few people thanked him for cooking. One morning, before
anybody woke up, Bill and I were drinking coffee at the dining room table. I
told him I lived with five guys and that it was very difficult for me because I
liked my space and I needed my privacy. I asked him how he kept such a good
attitude all of the time with so many people abusing his kindness. Bill set down
his coffee and looked me in the eye. "Don," he said. "If we are not willing to
wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves
whether or not we are really following Jesus."


This guy, Bill, has got it right on.

No comments: