Monday, January 08, 2007

April 7, 2007

It's for real now, this MCAT thing. I have to admit that having an actual test date (see the subject line) is at the same time motivating, anxiety-producing, and exciting. This step in my life has been many years in the making and I'm looking forward to what lies beyond the exam. Surrounded by God, my family, my Wilber, and my friends, here goes!

At class the other day, one of the other students asked me how I planned to respond to the question, "Why do you want to be a doctor instead of a nurse." I've given this question a lot of thought, but am still working on the perfect answer ( I suppose I have a few months). Things that come to mind are: power to try and bring about change, work toward alleviation of healthcare disparties in the US and globally, mission work, always seeking the next challenge. I've been told to steer away from "I've always wanted to be a doctor" and "When ________ died in my family, it made me realize..."

I've never been one to walk alone, and I don't plan to start right now. So, I open the above question up to you. What would you say? What have you said when asked about switching careers, taking on new challenges, moving to new places?

2 comments:

jch said...

Interestingly, I'm often asked about the choosing of my career. I have different answers for different people. To my secular, non-religious friends I speak of merging my religious beliefs with my societal beliefs and how I hope to lead people into a life of service to the world through my work. To my religious friends I speak specifically about my experience overseas and how I felt tugged and pulled by God to speak his word. Both are true answers but I take into account the person asking and then move forward.

Anonymous said...

I too have several stock answers when asked both why I switched to social work, and why I moved to NYC. When I don't want to get into it, I sigh and say "I don't really know." With my religious friends I talk about how I feel God has led me to this and that all of what I've been through in my life has shown me how important this is, to be with someone when they are burdened. Having been with you through most of this journey, I think that this is part of your answer, too, in addition to the things you list. Making a brave life change always brings about much discussion.