Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hill Country BBQ



Yesterday, being Memorial Day, necessitated a menu of red meat and beer. It's the way that we Texans honor the fallen. Normally, I'd fix the burgers or meat myself, but since I'm studying again these days, I opted to have someone else do the cooking. So, Casey and I went to check out this new restaurant that has opened called Hill Country.


Hill Country is modeled after the famous Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas. For the men in my family, Kreuz is somewhat of a sanctuary. Imagine my excitement to find a BBQ place, another Kreuz Market, in New York City!


Now, imagine my disappointment. This place was WAY overpriced. Two beef ribs and 4 small slices of brisket cost me $17.50. No lie. Didn't include side dishes nor beverages. They do their service counter-style, where you take your tray from counter to counter, and ask the pitmaster or side-dish-master (?) for what you want. Everything is served on butcher paper, like BBQ should be, but the nostalgia did not make up for the tough texture and overly sweet (read: bad) BBQ sauce served with the meat.


The decor is grossly "Texas-centric". It tries too hard. The waitresses were even wearing cowboy boots. Yep, that's right. You know, because everyone in Texas wear cowboy boots. (I love mine, but not for waiting tables.)


The only saving grace for this place was the Blue Bell Ice Cream and Lone Star Beer. Thankfully, those things are made somewhere else and shipped to NYC, so they offered the same taste and satisfaction I remember from my days in Austin.


Fellow Texans, don't waste your time or your money on this place. If you want some BBQ, let's get together sometime soon and do it up right ourselves. I'll cook the meat, somebody else bring the sides, and I promise, no one will wear cowboy boots.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sounds as though you've just found a dueling carrer to physician. Show NYC what Texas bbq is all about! Do we get free ribs when we visit? Forget visit, I'm working the counter.