Thursday, June 17, 2010

Familiar


About a month ago, I started working the night shift in the ICU. I did nights in New York, but started working days when I moved to Austin. A change in jobs was necessary, so I left my 8a-4:30p, M-F job and got this new gig in ICU. The job is busy/stress-filled if anything, but that's another post for another time.


Switching to the night shift has brought back a flood of old patterns. It takes me right back to living in New York and working my nights in ICU there. You see, working the night shift wreaks havoc on the sleep-wake cycle. Even on my nights off, my sleep schedule is messed up and so I'm up most of the night, wishing I was asleep like Abel and the dogs. I've taken to sleeping by myself so my tossing and turning and book-light won't disturb the rest of the house. Laying alone in my bed, staring at the ceiling, I feel exactly like I used to in New York. It's eerily familiar.


When I was living in Queens, on nights that I couldn't sleep I would read or watch TV til about 5am, then walk to the diner near my house and enjoy breakfast with the construction workers and delivery drivers. The diner was teeming with life at 5am.


So this morning, I decided to re-instate my diner tradition. I made the fifteen minute drive (not fifteen minute walk) to the 24 diner in search of waffles and eggs and a cup of decaf. To my surprise, there was one other person in the diner. One! And he was a (gay!) student who was immersed in his omelette and textbooks. Not hardly the construction worker-type I anticipated


The upside of being awake all night, if there is one, is that I have more time to read, contemplate, and reminisce. And time to think about blogging again. Here's to all of that, and to finding a prescription for Ambien.

3 comments:

R said...

Austin and New York are indeed different when it comes to sleep cycles, but we do have a few good 24 hour places that would give you a bit more to look at at 5:00 a.m. than the one college student.

I'm glad too, that there my be more blogging.

ccaqwr said...

Good to be an owl!

MS outlook 2010 said...

Apr 17, This year, Ms proclaimed Office 2010 Microsoft Office 2010 RTM stage, and will be presented about May perhaps 14 first to get corporate people involving Office 2010, the official type, Office 2010, the state version intended for shoppers throughout mid-June.Office 2010, Master of science introduced a whole new generation involving office environment program, an overall connected with 6-8 designs, correspondingly, may be the Microsoft Office 2010 Key main version, individuals and also students, Home and office Version, Normal Release, Professional Model as well as Professional Advanced Release. Office 2010