Monday, August 06, 2007

Hymns for Sale

I'm always in search of the next great CD of hymns for my hymn collection. It's one of my hobbies. Today I found The Harding University Concert Choir's "Most Requested Traditional Hymns". It's terrific, and is available on iTunes. Pepperdine University also has a group called Wave of Grace that has three albums of standard a capella hymns, not on iTunes, but available here. Of course, Acappella has tons of albums available, but their hymns have generally been spiced up a little bit (tempo fluctuations, vocal percussion, etc).



Additionally, The Zoe Group and Hallal also have great worship music, though their music is a little more contemporary. If you're looking for hymns the way you sung them growing up, one of the first two groups I mentioned is your best bet, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Josh has been listening to the Jars of Clay cd you got him since he got home. He loves it...thanks for giving me some gift ideas for him.

Brian said...

wow the image of that song book in your previous post sure brought memories rushing to the front of my brain. The church I grew up in used the gold cover ones and I remember thinking that the green covered ones and the red covered ones that other churches in the area used were so much better than the gold ones we had. I'm not sure now why I thought that, but anyway...
I think it would be a difficult task to find even one former C of C'er that doesn't painfully miss congregational accapella music. I know I miss it terribly.
Its funny I read this post today because just yesterday (Sunday) I ended up in a church service (I'm still unsure how I got roped into it but somehow I did) at a Deciples of Christ church. It was "camp Sunday" which meant that all the high school kids that had just gotten back from church camp were conducting the service, including singing some of the music that they used at camp. It was lovely, don't get me wrong, but as they all sang the melody line, and as the songs that included a girl echo parts were all over the place, and as I began noticing that probably 60% of them were either completely tone deaf or just not used to carrying a tune, I couldn't help but wish (through the entire thing) that the kids had been C of C kids because I KNOW it would have been amazing then.
Anyway, thanks for the memories.