Monday, March 12, 2007

Sign of the Times

Each week, Sports Illustrated has a little blurb called "Sign of the Apocalypse" that tells about something absurd, embarrassing, etc. that happened in sports news in the previous week, indicating that the world is, in fact, as bad as it seems. It's meant to be funny. Perhaps you've seen it.

Today, I offer you my own sign of the apocalypse or Sign of the Times. Something I read about in today's Wall Street Journal:

Remember how, when you were a kid and you lost a tooth, the tooth fairy came to visit? Perhaps she left a coin to prove that she had come to visit in the night and likewise to illustrate the point that losing a tooth isn't quite so traumatic...you can make a profit in the end. Usually, at my house, she left a quarter. And not every time, either.

According to a recent survey by eBeanstalk.com, the average per tooth payment nowadays is $2.64. One father said his son gets $5 for his first lost tooth and $3 for every lost tooth thereafter. Some kids pocket $10 or more per tooth. Inflation now affects tooth fairy money? You've got to be kidding me.

I'm not old, by any means. But I feel like saying, "Kids these days...they don't know how easy they've got it."

3 comments:

Casey. said...

I generally got a dollar per tooth. But a couple of times, the tooth fairy left me IOUs.

jch said...

Hey, dude, cut these kids some slack. The cost of living is outrageous these days. Do you know how much a pop cost at the corner store? A piece of bubble gum? Ridiculous! I might just coordinate a union for kids and demand higher payments for teeth pulled! It's a rough world out there...

JTB said...

I got a quarter, I think. Except for when I had to have a bunch of teeth pulled by the dentist before I got braces--11 total, 8 adult and 3 baby teeth. I always thought it was unfair--losing those teeth was a lot more traumatic, and I could've used compensation for "pain and suffering."