Monday, February 19, 2007

Say It With A Mix-Tape

This past Wednesday was mine and Wilber's four-month anniversary. It also coincided with Valentine's Day, so a gift was in order. What is the appropriate gift for the four-month anniversary? Paper? Wood? A mix-tape? Ah, yes. That's the one.

I like mix-taps a whole lot. Folks these days have the playlist equivalent, but I like the idea of the tape/CD itself. Something tangible. I also am keenly aware of music and its capacity to evoke emotion and I like to share that with others. So, I made Wilber a mix-tape. Cheesy, a bit. But very sweet. Here's a few of the songs I included:
  • A Love That Will Never Grow Old (Emmylou Harris)
  • All I Ask Of You (Phantom of the Opera)
  • Annie's Song (John Denver)
  • Let It Be Me (Willie Nelson)
  • Somewhere (West Side Story)

So how about you? Have you ever given or received a mix-tape? What was on it? Or what's on your favorite playlist, if pre-ipod music technology escaped you?

3 comments:

jch said...

Made a mix tape for my fifth grade girlfriend. Don't remember any of the songs on it but one. It was Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You."

What the hell did I know about love in frakin' fifth grade? Geez.

Casey. said...

I don't know that I've ever made a mix tape for reason of Love, but I have made some very good playlists in my time. There was Joe's "Kleaning the Hiz-ouse" mix and the "Mid-Size Car" mix. That was a good one. May your future many lovely mix tapes.

JTB said...

I have some great mix tapes from college. I cherish them. My favorite is one that a friend made me from a bunch of songs he found from a huge box of 8-tracks he bought for $2 at a thrift store. It has a funk version of the Star Wars theme on it. I mean, can it get any better than that?