Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Thoughts on God(s)

I've been thinking a lot lately about the enormity of the universe. I mean, one million Earths could fit inside the sun. One million! That's how small we are. Earth lies 91.4 million miles from the sun. Think on that. The planets are tens of millions of miles apart from each other. And that's just our known solar system. Who knows what else is out there in the universe? There's got to be other stuff; other life.

I think that when we were taught that God is the God of the universe, they were actually meaning he was the God of Earth. Right? All we learn about the existence of God is from the Bible, written by human beings, who lived on Earth. And they didn't live here all that long ago, considering how long Earth has been around. The story of Jesus is compelling. But again, it's the story of a man, who lived on Earth. Nowhere else. And this guy Jesus is God's only son? His only progeny? That seems unlikely if God is so big and is god of the entire universe.

If there are other forms of (intelligent) life somewhere in the cosmos, who is the god of them? Is it our God? And what about their salvation? Could our God have other sons (or daughters) who are tied up in the salvation of other intelligent life? Or are their other gods who are omnipresent over other parts of the solar system?

What I'm saying is that it's not all as simple as I've been lead to believe. I say my prayers, but I confess when I say them that I don't know where God is and if he is only the god of Earth or the whole universe or what?

I hear people say that God knows no bounds and is everywhere and isn't confined to time and space. I guess. I've never doubted how big God is until recently. Is it possible that the whole universe is too big, too immense, for just one god? I'm wondering...

Going on, what is heaven? And who is it for? For human beings on planet Earth? Or for all forms of intelligent life (capable of reason) who inherit salvation? Or is it something mentioned in the Bible, a human book of faith, to give us hope for something after we die?

I don't know, folks. I just don't know. I'll still keep saying prayers and going to church on occassion, but I've got some serious questions. Let me know if you've got answers.

5 comments:

TKJ said...

Seems a topic just made for our upcoming time together

glint of stars said...

Sorry, I just stumbled upon your blog, and I believe that God is God over everything, including the entire universe. The Bible says, in Genesis, 1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." And then it describes the creation of the earth, but it also goes on to say " 14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good." So He has also created the heavens and all the stars in the sky. It is not only limited to earth.

I really encourage you to keep going to church, meet with the people there and form meaningful relationships. Christians need other christians. Also, definitely keep praying. Talk to God like you would to a friend. He is there for you.

Evangeline said...

I just came across your blog and I found this post incredibly interesting. I have wondered similar things before but have never been able to put my thoughts on this subject into coherent written words. I am spiritual, and in the process of reading the religious scriptures of three of the major religions, but I currently do not identify with any of them. Do you mind if I re-post your post on my blog? I will wait for your reply. Thank you.

MS outlook 2010 said...

Your place of work is actually Office 2010 a Microsoft-developed wrath, place of work program, the latest The year of 2010 model could make you wish it to function, possibly by using a Laptop or computer, but through the Net may also be used, even during the sensible hands.Firstly it is actually one of the major alterations is resembled inside program, the brand new type with Office 2010 making use of the topic of Microsoft Office 2010 your brand new Bows user interface, this slot is straightforward and fresh, much more thoroughly clean, plus the custom logo has been improved to your overall orange. Office 2010 Key

Unknown said...

Sega registered any trademark request regarding Alien: Isolation inside April, whilst the unconfirmed Kotaku report via October suggested Unfamiliar: Isolation might celebrity Ellen Ripley's girl, Amanda-b, which fits up with your newly exposed fine art.The newest Alien online game ended up being the actual severely panned Aliens: Northeastern Marines via Gear box Application in association with Neurological Application as well as TimeGate Galleries.Your Wii system Oughout edition had been ended, in spite of the Xbox 360 console, Ps3, and also PC versions combining in order to deliver A single.Thirty-one thousand replicates.

D3 Items

Cheap D3 Items