Monday, February 11, 2008

A small fire

I was woken up last night by one of my roommates banging on my door and shouting "Get out! Get out!" I scrambled out of bed in a panic and opened my bedroom door and I there was this haziness in the apartment and it smelled of smoke and gas and my roommate was shouting, "There's a fire! Get out!"

I was only in my undies, so my first thought is "Get clothes on." I managed to throw some clothes on but I was in such a panic that I found it hard to know what drawers even to go to for clothes. I've had the thought process before, If there's ever a fire, what would I grab on my way out? I figured I would grab my Bible, my laptop, some photo albums, etc.

What did I grab last night? Nothing! I looked at all those things and said forget it, it's not worth the time it would take. They can all be replaced. I just grabbed a blanket off my bed because it was below freezing outside last night.

We called 911 and three firetrucks showed up. They immediately found the fire in the basement. Part of the boiler had caught on fire and they quickly put it out. It appears that no structural damage was done to the house. In fact, they told us it was safe to sleep in the house last night. Only thing we're missing is heat right now, because the landlord has to put in a new boiler now. Before I went back to bed, I started looking around the apartment for the smoke detectors, wondering why they hadn't alarmend. There were none!

People, make sure your apartment has smoke detectors. I assumed the landlord had them installed, but he did not. I'll be putting them up today, along with carbon monoxide detectors as well. You just never know what could happen.

6 comments:

Sienna said...

Dang bro. Glad to hear you are okay and nothing was damaged or destroyed. Get those smoke detectors up and have the landlord buy you a cup of coffee to keep warm. Stay safe.

JTB said...

Oh. Wow. I think you should get some free rent seeing as how you could have been dead. No smoke detectors? Can we say "criminally negligent"???

If you need a WARM place to crash, our futon is oh so comfy and always available.

JTB said...

of course, you may have a better offer already... :)

TKJ said...

Nato: Glad to hear all is well. It is amazing how things become unimportant in times of clarity, although I do hope you had a second thought about going back for the JD toolset.

kristen said...

When my dad found out, while staying at my old apt last Christmas, that I had taken the batteries out of our hyperactive smoke detector, I think he almost took off his belt to beat the stuffing out of me. My weak protests that steam from the SHOWER set it off were no good. Very glad to hear that you're okay.

But at the very least, your landlord should pay for the smoke detectors.

Jennifer said...

UNDIES! You crack me up. I'm picturing you wearing some dino print ones like Campbell and a white t-shirt freezing to death in a blanket. So glad you are alright.