Thursday, June 28, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mother



Today is my mother's 53rd birthday. For those of you who have not met my mother, Ruthie Jones, you should add it to your list of things to do.

She is love, she is peace, she is grace. She embodies home and family and the things in life that are good and true. She is a mother unlike most who I have met. The heart that she has for her sons is incredible. Her compassion for her fellow man is beyond measure. This is evidenced by her work as a hospital chaplain, and the way she conducts herself with those who are in need. Growing up, her prayer was often for God to "bless those who are sick, sad, or hungry."

The faith I have in God I attribute largely to the way she and my dad raised me. Trust in God, He is faithful to his promises. Never stop loving your brothers. You boys are each other's worlds. These are just some of the things she taught us growing up.

When I was in college, she would host weekly dinner's at her house on Tuesday night's for me, my brothers, and whoever we knew that needed a home-cooked meal. Ruthie Tuesdays, she called them. Her door was always open for anyone who needed anything. That's her way.

Mother, today Josh, Jen, Matthew, Sienna, Wilber and I honor you and celebrate your birthday with you. Break out the cake and the Blue Bell! It's time for a party!




2 comments:

Casey. said...

I second all of these things. For birthdays, Thanksgivings, Christmases, and every Tuesday for a long while, Ruthie made me feel like I was a part of her beautiful family. And still does with kind words and sweet gifts on even the most minor holidays, and the knowledge that I will always be one of hers no matter where I am.

Mom said...

What a wonderful tribute! She is blessed to have such a loving son.